Licensing for Brokers and Agents

Brokers and agents serve the needs of their customers, both individual and commercial, helping to protect them from loss due to accidents, fires, theft and many other perils. In all provinces and territories in Canada, individuals working in these roles must become licensed. Depending on the province in which you live or are doing business, there are different levels of licensing depending on the broker or agent’s seniority and amount of responsibility they have for client service and management.

Licensing Requirements by Province

Provincial-specific study programs are available in the following provinces:

British Columbia 
Newfoundland and Labrador
Saskatchewan (Restricted Auto Licence Issuers)


In Ontario, an individual or firm that acts as an intermediary and assists in arranging contracts between insurers and clients is referred to as a broker. Brokers are governed and licensed by RIBO.

Insurance agents represent one insurer and also assist in arranging insurance contracts between applicants and insurers. The insurers they usually represent are known as direct writers. Agents are licensed in Ontario by FSCO.

As the licensing requirements for an agent or broker license vary please select the page that applies to your needs. 

Ontario – Insurance Agent

Ontario – Insurance Broker

Continuing Education Credits

Looking for a fast and convenient way to learn about highly relevant topics while meeting the education requirements of your license? Try CE OnDemand, a new suite of online courses you can take anywhere, anytime. Deepen your understanding of emerging trends in the p&c industry and diversify your product knowledge in both personal and commercial lines. All courses are accredited by provincial regulators (where applicable) and are available 24/7 from the IIC’s eLearning portal.


If you have any questions, please contact your local institute or chapter.